In addition to today's release of iPhone Software 2.2 for iPhone and iPhone 3G, Apple has released the “iPhone 2.2 Software Update for iPod touch,” containing a comparatively shorter list of improvements. Notably absent in Apple’s changelog are references to improvements to the Maps application, which on the iPhone and iPhone 3G has gained Google Street View, transit information, and walking directions. Here is what Apple lists as improvements to the iPod touch version of the software:|
The iPod touch version of the iPhone Software 2.2 is available now as a 277.7MB download from iTunes 8.0.2 by selecting your iPod touch under Devices and clicking on the Check for Update/Update button. It is free for users with earlier 2.x iPhone Software.
- Secure WPA Wi-Fi network connection issues have been fixed.
- E-mail fetching problems have been resolved.
- Wide HTML e-mail formatting has been improved.
- Auto-correcting keyboard can be turned on or off.
- Safari is more stable and performs better.
- Podcasts can be downloaded from iTunes application.
- Pressing Home button from any Home screen returns you to the first Home screen.