Everything about Apple iPod Touch. News, Views, Reviews, Rumors, Accessories and more


 

iPod earbuds or headphones can give you electric shock

Tuesday, May 19, 2009  |  6 comments
That's right! You read is correctly. Apple has made this revelation in a new support page posted on its website. According to Apple, when using headphones in areas where the air is very dry, it is easy to build up static electricity and possible for your ear to receive a small electrostatic discharge (in other words shock) from the headphones while listening to iPod or iPhone. Ouch! shock to the ear...Not sure how painful that could be because I haven't experienced it yet. Have you?
Show me more...
This according to apple does not mean that there is an issue with the ipod, iphone or the earbuds. When the iPod (touch) or the iPhone rubs against various surfaces during its usage the charge builds up on the device that the earbuds are connected to and then this electric charge discharges through the earbuds when you put them in your ears.

Apple also suggests tips to try and reduce the build-up of static electricity like keeping the device out of the wind, not rubbing it against certain materials, using anti-static hand lotion, and using a humidifier to raise the moisture content of the air—for users.

Labels:



      


If you enjoyed this post and want to stay in touch, make sure you subscribe to the RSS feed! or via email:


6 Comments:
  • At May 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Anonymous Jon said…

    Wow crazy stuff!  

  • At May 21, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can vouch for this
    one time i was sitting on a plastic chair with a cotton shirt on and my friend was playing a game while i was listening to music.
    when i went to go stand up these babies delivered a powerful shock to both of my ears

    this has happened more than once, sometimes when im just walking  

  • At May 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Anonymous The BIG D!!!! said…

    hahahah lol. This is kind of funny. Static charge on headphones. Never thought that would be possible  

  • At October 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happened to me a bunch walking to and from class while listening to music! Not a pleasant experience to all of a sudden to be shocked. Had it so bad once that I felt it all over the side of my face that the ear got shocked on.  

  • At March 30, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just got shocked when my headphones unplugged and came in contact with my TV screen. It was horribly painful, enough for me to jump back and rip the ear buds from my ears. To make things worse, I did it again later that day, then had an irritating headache later on. I got worried there was some actual damage since my brain got fried by a TV twice.  

  • At February 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's not just Ipod earbuds. I've had several pairs of ifrogz earbuds from Walmart and they have all shocked me just sitting listening at work. I think it's my chair. It's not pleasant in the least. Got a good shock today! :(  

<< Home
SPEAK YOUR MIND. LEAVE A COMMENT! Just select Name/URL from the 'Comment as' box below. Enter your name (URL is not required) and leave a comment.

Post a Comment

©2012 appleipodtouch.blogspot.com. All rights reserved

Be the first to know by Subscribing

Enter your email address:

 Subscribe via RSS

Latest Stories

Buy iPod Touch 5th Gen

imageimage
imageimage

Categories